Grilled Pears with Walnut Cream Cheese

Cooler weather always makes me crave comfort food. I love sweet and warm fall foods that make you feel like you’ve just bundled up in flannel pajamas. And if that food also happens to be good for you? Well, what’s not to love?

That’s what this dish is: the crunch of the walnuts and silky cream cheese offer a savory contrast to the sweet of the pears. And grilling the pears adds a smoky undertone to the dish, too. This is so good that I couldn’t figure out where to categorize it: is this a dessert? a side dish? an appetizer? all of the above? However you eat it, it’ll feel like Baby Bear’s porridge: just right.

EmailDiggDeliciousShare
This entry was posted in appetizers, brunch, dessert, gluten free, lacto, side dish and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Grilled Pears with Walnut Cream Cheese

1. sally says:

I love grilled fruit and this looks like such a simple and delicious recipe! Thanks for sharing!

2. mjskit says:

I vote for “all of the above” and would even add breakfast although grilling something for breakfast might turn it into a brunch. :) This combination sounds wonderful!

• natalie says:

Ooh! I can’t believe I didn’t think of brunch! That’s my favorite meal, and you’re right: this would be perfect for an elegant brunch.

3. daksha says:

I eat grilled bananas many time but ur pears looks appealing! must try, looks superb.

4. nora says:

OOoYouuooHH!
    Yummy, and easy.
    This is so similar to the very first thing I ever learned to “coo”, well…prepare.

Just halved and cored the pears. Rolled the cream cheese in little balls, then rolled the balls in chopped walnuts. This was my go-to treat in pre-school.
    Still love it!

Oh, but the fluffier cream cheese looks easier to eat, and grilling is ALWAYS good.

• natalie says:

Yep, I love recipes that take me back to childhood. We had some good food back then, right? :) I still love graham crackers and peanut butter before a run. I feel ten again–not a bad thing when you need to do a 10-miler.

5. Spice Sherpa says:

I adore the simplicity of this recipe. I would play around and add some spices to the cream cheese. Even a basic cinnamon or cardamom would add a new dimension to the taste. Excellent recipe though—totally my style.

• natalie says:

Yep, cardamom would be lovely in this, or a dash of ground cloves maybe? And if you’re serving it for dessert, a bit of shaved chocolate on top would be heavenly. But it turned out pretty darn good without the additions, too. Let us know if you end up adding spices–I’d love to know what ends up being your favorite combo!